Massages don’t just feel great, they also provide excellent recovery assistance for CrossFit athletes. Getting a regular massage once a month or more can help you reduce soreness and risk of injury while increasing mobility so you can perform better.
During high intensity exercise, lactic acid and general toxins from acidity increase in your muscles. Your body can naturally clear lactic acid and toxins with time and rest, however massage can help expedite the process, especially when you are working out often.
Other benefits of massage include:
- Massage lengthens fascia and muscle easing it back into place. This increases range of motion and has the added benefit of making your muscles look more toned.
- Increases blood flow and circulation getting more oxygen into your body.
- Decreases and anxiety and stress.
- Helps reduce pain and inflammation in the joints, tendons, nerves and bones.
The best times to get a massage:
- At least 45 minutes after you have completed your WOD for the day.
- During recovery periods – rest days or deload weeks.
- 3 days before a competition or race. This will help improve your range of motion and mobility for your competition.
- After a competition or race to help you recover quickly.
Getting the most out of your massage
You may find that your muscles are sore the next 24 – 48 hours after a massage. Some ways that you can your body recover and get the most benefits from your massage include:
- Drinking lots of water before and after your massage. Being properly hydrated assists lymphatic drainage and blood flow.
- Doing a cold plunge right after your massage. This helps prevent toxins from reentering the muscles.
- Practicing Yoga or stretching an hour or more after the massage to assists the toxins to leave your body.
- Using heat packs or having a warm bath with Epsom salts reduces muscle tenderness.
- Get a good night of sleep.
Booking A Massage:
You can book online or at the front desk. To find out more visit our Massage page.