Challenge 1: Lack of time.
Plan your meals in advance
Having a menu plan will not only reduce shopping and preparation time, but will also help in avoiding last minute snacking or eating out.
Bulk prepare your vegetables
If you boil or bake a few days worth of sweet potatoes, squash and other vegetables, it’s easy to throw a meal together in a few minutes by adding a protein.
Use a Slow Cooker
Most meals in a slow cooker don’t take long to prepare. Once you get everything into it you can leave it for the day and come home to a hot meal. Check out this cookbook for great slow cooker meals.
If you haven’t got a slow cooker, this is a great one.
Use your BBQ
BBQs are a quick, easy and delicious way to prepare your proteins. Throw a brat or sausage on for breakfast or steak or marinated meat for another meal. You’ll be able to prepare a quick salad while it’s cooking.
Challenge 2: Getting bored with your food.
If you are new to making the switch to Paleo, you might be cutting out some of your easy go-to meals. For others, you might feel bored with your current rotation of meals. Both situations can lead to eating foods off the Clean 30 list or eating out. Instead try:
Getting inspiration from Pinterest
Pinterest is full of delicious Paleo inspiration. We’ve been pinning away and have lots of great recipes to get you started:
Starting a Meal Exchange
Find a friend and organize to swap a container of stew, curry or soup each week. Just prepare double of one of your meals and then swap the excess. It’s a great way to get a home-cooked meal that tastes different to your usual style.
Trying a new recipe or ingredient each week
Challenge yourself to try a new vegetable, spice or recipe each week. This is a great way to expand the flavors you eat and get nutrients you might be missing by favoring certain foods.
Challenge 3: Eating out
Sticking to clean eating is much easier at home, but if you are going to eat out, here’s some tips to keep it clean:
- Look for items that have been broiled, grilled, roasted, pan-seared, poached and steamed.
- Avoid items that are fried, battered, crispy, breaded.
- Tell your server that you have food sensitivities to gluten and grains – they’ll check with the kitchen to make sure your food is clean.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for substitutes. If your meal includes a something you shouldn’t have, substitute a salad or extra veggies.
- Get a burger wrapped in lettuce. You won’t miss the bun once you add good stuff like bacon and avocado. Or just eat your burger with a fork.
- A good option is a large dinner salad. For a dressing, pick a vinaigrette or if all dressings have vegetable oils, go for lemon or vinegar.
- At breakfast/brunch order bacon and eggs and see if they’ll substitute vegetables or fruit for the toast.
- Avoid deep fried foods as they are fried in canola or vegetable oils.
- If bread is delivered to your table ask the server to take it away.
- If despite your best efforts, you still end up with something you don’t want to eat on your plate, eat around it or send it back.
If you need to eat out, here’s a list of our favourite Paleo restaurants. Some other restaurants where you can get Paleo-friendly meals are:
- Turley’s – Serves grass-fed beef.
- Mad Greens – customizable salads with generous portions.
- Salt – tasty proteins and they’re great about substituting sides.
- Centro – get the flatiron steak or the red snapper.
- Walnut Cafe – for brunch grab an omlette.
- The Med – has a great tapas menu with Paleo-friendly options.
- Larkburger, Smashburger and 5 Guys all have great burgers and happily wrap your burgers in lettuce. Unfortunately, none of these are grass-fed though.
Challenge 4: You ate or drank off the Clean 30 list and feel like you blew it
Talk to your Coach
Your coach is here to help you succeed in your Clean 30 Challenge. What’s really important is getting back to it as soon as possible. Use your coach and team for support to get back on track.
Get support from your team or other CrossFit Sanitas Members
We have over 100 members participating in this Clean 30 Challenge who are all facing the same challenges you are. Many members also participated in April’s Clean 30 and have great tips and insights to get you through the month.
If you haven’t already, join the CrossFit Sanitas Community group on Facebook.