We have grilled the experts, perused dozens of nutrition books, and scoured Amazon, the aisles of Whole Foods and the CrossFit blogosphere in search of the best supplements for our athletes.
Here’s what we have learned:
- All athletes should supplement daily with Omega-3 and Vitamin D3 and this should be taken with fat for best absorption.
- It is important to either eat a balanced meal or drink a recovery protein shake within 30-60 minutes after your workout. Skipping this will lead to slower recovery, soreness and diminished strength gains. Whey protein is valuable for those who can’t bring a full meal to the gym and can tolerate dairy.
- Most Omega-3, D3 and Whey supplements are of poor quality.
- A magnesium supplement with zinc and B6 taken before bed can also be beneficial for recovery and sleep (Pure Pharma has a good one and we are thinking of carrying this soon).
- Most other supplements are unnecessary if you eat well and are healthy (you can have blood work done to access if you’re deficient in any others).
SFH, a small Maine-based family business run by a research pharmacologist who discovered CrossFit in his 60s, makes the best products on the market. Their products are incredibly pure from wild (Omega 3s) and grass-fed animals (whey protein), are minimally-processed, and have no soy, GMO or artificial additives or fillers. They are formulated to maximize bioavailability (concentrate vs isolate in the case of Whey Protein; liquid vs pill in the case of Omega3 and D3). Just because your protein has 40g of protein per serving, doesn’t mean you’re actually absorbing anywhere near 40g. They also taste great.
Since SFH is not carried at any local stores or on Amazon, we have decided to carry a wide range of their products in a variety of flavors.
Here’s What We Carry (read more info below):
- SO3+D3: Reduce inflammation and triglycerides with 3100mg of EPA+DHA
- Recovery: Minimize soreness and speed recovery post-workout
- Fortified: Build strength and muscle mass
- Pure: Replace snacks and meals
- Endurance: Boost energy during long workouts
Bringing a balanced meal to the gym or having it ready to eat within 30-60 post-workout is still the best option, but if you’re looking for something more practical – SFH is your answer. So bring your blender bottle with a scoop of whichever formula suites your goals. You can add water after your workout or bring it premixed with water and coconut milk. If you tolerate dairy, it also tastes great with milk (Organic Valley Grass Milk is a good choice). The fish oil works great with a single serving pump. You can store it in the freezer and just pump it once a day into your mouth. It’s best to eat that with a meal or snack that includes fat.
- Reduce inflammation and triglycerides with 3100mg of EPA+DHA in 1 tsp
- Research has also shown that EPA and DHA may lower the risk of autoimmune disease, depression, cancer and Alzheimer’s disease
- 60 servings per bottle = $1/day
- Liquid form is better than capsules as it optimizes absorption
- Prepared from sardines, herring and anchovies using molecular distillation making it possible to concentrate EPA and DHA
- 50% of all Americans have low Vitamin D levels
- Vitamin D may enhance bone formation, play a role in controlling inflammation and has been reported to have positive effects on mood, depression and anxiety
- Reformulated for improved taste: tangerine, mint, lemon and chocolate
Recovery – Reduce Soreness & Fatigue, Speed Recovery and Improve Joint Health and Flexibility
- Take within an hour after your activity (preferably within 30 mins)
- Reduces soreness
- Refuels your tired muscles to help them recover and build new muscle quickly
- Maintains joint health and flexibility and decreases the negative effects of free radical oxidants
- Recovery is approximately 2/3 whey concentrate derived from a grass fed, free range cows, which are never treated with antibiotics or bovine growth hormones and approximately 1/3 essential amino acids for recovery.
- Amino acids build muscles naturally
- Creatine boosts energy
- Glutamine helps with muscle recovery and maintenance
- Glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin sulfate helps maintain joint health and flexibility
- Carnitine facilitates the transport of fats into mitochrondria for oxidation and ATP generation
- Leucine and isoleucine may promote muscle strength, volume and synthesis
- Ribose increases ATP synthesis/cellular energy
- Taurine may prevent muscle fatigue and atrophy
- Recommended to be taken in the morning, but may be taken anytime
- Designed to add muscle mass
- Contains essential amino acids to enhance muscle growth naturally:
- Phenylalanine and tyrosine added to enhance muscle growth
- Leucine and isoleucine, key BCAAs may increase muscle volume, strength and synthesis
- Low glycemic index cherry powder for sustained energy
- 22g of protein from grass-fed, pastured cows that are never given antibiotics or bovine growth hormones
- Whey protein provides improved muscle development as well as immune and bone support
- Increases endurance and stamina
- Fast absorbing whey protein: helps protect from muscle breakdown and stimulates the synthesis of sugar via gluconeogenisis
- 20% MCT’s (coconut fat): as a high energy non insulin spiking fuel
If you have any questions, please ask your coach or someone at the front desk.