- Serves 4
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup (Remove this during the Clean Challenge)
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth, if desired)
- 2 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes (can substitute pumpkin or butternut squash)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Salt to taste
In a heavy soup pot, over medium heat, cook the onion and butter until the onions are a light golden color, about 5 minutes. Add the honey or maple syrup, and sauté a minute or two, then add the broth, bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer.
Stir in the sweet potatoes and spices, bring to a simmer again, and cook for 5 minutes more.
In a blender, puree the soup in batches and return to pot (or use an immersion blender if you have one). Add the coconut milk, and reheat soup. Season with salt, ladle into soup bowls and serve. Garnish with bacon, if desired. This soup makes a delicious side with lemon-herb chicken or slow-cooked pork.
To make gluten-free croutons, whip up a loaf of Elana’s Pantry paleo bread. Then slice into cubes, drizzle with olive oil and salt, and roast in the oven until the edges brown.
Fresh Thymes Eatery is a gluten-free Boulder restaurant serving paleo, allergen-friendly and gluten-free food that’s locally sourced, grass-fed, pasture raised, organic & made with love in Boulder.