Dan McIlroy is our Member of the Month for the month of October! Dan has now been with us for over 4 years and has been without a doubt the most consistent member of the 5:30pm WOD since he started. You’ll also likely see Dan here on weekends hitting the partner WODs as well as any workout on Sunday that includes benching.
Here are the Member of the Month questions for Dan!
1) How did you get started with CrossFit? What was the primary driving factor?
2) What are your goals for the upcoming 2019/2020 CrossFit year?
Realistically maintenance is a goal; however I would like to see some gains in my front squats and back squats.
3) What has been your biggest challenge you have had to overcome since starting CrossFit?
Checking my ego at the door. I am a fairly competitive guy so seeing people lifting significantly heavier weights and getting my ass handed to me in workouts can take me down a peg or two. However, I take a step back and realize that compared to the average person, I am in really good shape.
4) What is your favorite CrossFit Workout/Movement?
I like running, rowing, push-ups, air squats, push presses and kettle bell swings. I like “chipper” type workouts where there are a high amounts of reps.
5) What is your least Favorite CrossFit Workout/Movement?
6) What advice can you give to those just starting out in CrossFit?
Don’t skip workouts because you don’t like a particular exercise — they all benefit you. Also, appreciate the gains even if they’re small.
7) Lastly… what is your most memorable moment in Crossfit?
I don’t have a single moment but what I like about CrossFit is that it includes a bit of everything — running, rowing, lifting, etc. I also enjoy the class dynamic as it pushes me much more than what I would be able to do on my own. Peer pressure is a good thing! It’s also a fun environment and I like the banter I have with the coaches, except Michael, as he is a little sensitive.
A couple additions for the Member of the Month Workout
- What’s your birthday? May 3
- What’s your lucky number? 1 (because I hope the workout Dwight designs only has 1 burpee)
- Do you like endurance style WODs or strength style WODs? Endurance
- AMRAPs or For Time? Time
Member of the Month Workout
10 Rounds for Time
1 Man Maker at 50#/35#
3 Body Blasters
5 Curtis P’s at 95#/65#