Our January Member of the Month is Ziad Alwazzan, better known as Z! Z has been a stellar member of the Sanitas CrossFit community for over a year now. He is a regular of our 5:30pm and 6:30pm WODs, and is basically built to be an olympic lifter. He always comes in with a great vibe, listens to coaches feedback, and gets better day in and day out. He is utterly consistent and has built a reputation for having great form, even while under duress.
We asked him a few questions about himself and this is what he had to say…
1) How did you get started with CrossFit? What was the primary driving factor?
A relative encouraged me to go to a WOD with him once when I was in high school. I loved it! The next week I got a call from the gym saying I had a free full year membership. He never said it, but I knew it was him. Also his mom told me he did it, so…
2) What are your goals for the upcoming 2020 CrossFit year?
Nothing specific, I just want to lift heavier than Faisal on all the olympic lifts!
3) What has been your biggest challenge you have had to overcome since starting CrossFit?
Being consistent and managing my time. This has been an issue for me with CrossFit, but being in this gym/community helps a lot. I see people work hard everyday and it really encourages me to always push myself and keep moving forward.
4) What is your favorite CrossFit Workout/Movement?
HSPU and kipping/butterfly pull-ups
5) What is your least favorite CrossFit Workout/Movement?
6) What advice can you give to those just starting out in CrossFit?
Focus on technique and not the weight you have on the bar. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, and pay attention to the comments coaches give you.
7) What is your most memorable moment in Crossfit?
First muscle-up was pretty dope. Handstand walking for the first time was also fun.