This makes the best coconut milk and it’s super easy! It’s great in tea, with coffee or my favorite – green tea matcha latte.
- 6 cups of almost boiling water
- 1 8 oz bag of organic shredded coconut (I like Let’s Do Organic and I buy it by the case on Amazon but you can also find it at Whole Foods)
- 1 date with pit removed (optional)
- Cinnamon, cardamon and vanilla to taste (optional)
- Nut milk bag or cheesecloth (but bag is much easier)
Fill bowl with hot water and add entire bag of shredded coconut and remaining ingredients. Let stand for 5 minutes and then blend on high for one minute. Put nut milk bag into original bowl and pour blender contents into bag. Hold bag closed and pour milk that seeps through bag into large mason jar. Squeeze the nut bag with your hands into bowl to get all of the milk out of the coconut. It’s easiest if each time you pour the milk into the mason jar or pitcher. You may need to wait between squeezes on the bag if it is too hot. Once all of the milk is in the mason jar let stand until it cools to room temperature and give it a quick stir before putting it into the fridge (so the fat doesn’t harden on the top). I discard the coconut that left in the bag but some people use it for baking.