This has become our favorite morning drink. I make mine with homemade coconut milk but it works with the cartons of coconut milk from the refrigerator section at the store…or any other milk for that matter.
So why is matcha so great?
- 5 times as many antioxidants as any other food and 10 times other green teas.
- Over 100 times more EGCg than any other tea on the market (EGCgs provide potent anticancer properties).
- The L-Theanine in matcha enhances memory, concentration and calm.
- Matcha can support weight loss and fat burning. A study featured in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that consuming matcha green tea can increase thermogenesis (the body’s own rate of burning calories) from a normal 8%-10% of daily energy expenditure, to between 35% and 43% of daily energy expenditure.
- The polyphenols in matcha are good for your gut.
- It also tastes great and gives you a nice boost of energy without the jitters.
I fill half of my cup with homemade coconut milk and heat it in the microwave or on the stove for one minute. I then whisk in 1 teaspoon of organic matcha powder and fill my cup the rest of the way full with almost boiling or very hot water. It’s that simple and it can be made with any type of milk. I like this brand of matcha from Japan (it’s on Amazon). Some of the matcha from China has been found to have lead, so it’s good to buy from a good source. If you like your drinks sweeter, you can add a little dab of honey.