We’ve had more than 12 gym-wide clean challenges over the years, all with different approaches — 100% paleo and very strict, more freedom while counting macros; 10-day challenges to 6-week challenges; teams of 3 athletes all the way up to 15. What have we learned? To a degree, they all work! They each have pros and cons but ultimately, any level of focus and attention given to your nutrition appears to help.
We experimented with a new format in the fall and had huge successes! Participants lost nearly just as much fat, gained just as much muscle, improved performance, and maintained a better relationship with food that felt sustainable long-term. Based on feedback from past participants, below are the things they care most about.
- The most important goal was losing body fat (65%)
- Consistency is the biggest impediment to achieving your goals
- The two things that work best for members are eating balanced meals and eating on a schedule
- Breakfasts are most-often eaten on the run
- Lunches are consistently eaten out and not healthy
- People don’t do well with a lot of restrictions, or a lot of restrictions can backfire causing people to not eat enough and then to make bad choices once they’re too hungry
What’s the Focus of this Clean Challenge?
Consistency and balance. One of the most common things we hear at the end of challenges, “Oh I can finally eat normally again!” We want you to feel like you found a new way to eat; a way that will carry over when the challenge ends. This is the real goal!
We want you to learn a new normal. One that feels balanced and sustainable, still allowing you the freedom to have the things you enjoy, guilt-free.
What Do I Have to Do?
You’ll have a variety of “good habits” to complete as often as possible. Some are daily items, some are weekly. You’ll also come up with a personal challenge, some fitness or mobility goal that you’ll work toward over the course of the challenge.
Some tasks include:
- Eat a balanced breakfast
- Did not use phone while eating
- Prepped food for multiple days
- Was in bed for 8 hours (you can’t get 7 hours of sleep if you’re only in bed for 6 hours)
There are plenty more, but this will give you an idea of what to expect. Instead of a long list of restrictions, we came up with 1-2 restrictions and a list of good habits to maintain. Do something every day for 4 weeks, you may have a new habit in your routine to carry over into regular life. Reminder — This is the real goal.
What if I Need Help?
We’re expecting you to need help! Otherwise, you’d be doing this already on your own. Each of you will be placed on a small team led by one of the coaches. This will be your dedicated support network through the challenge when you need help, advice, recipe inspiration, or just a little peer pressure.
You’ll meet with your coach to develop a specific set of goals and strategies for yourself, as well as meet to review your weekly food log to ensure you’re eating a balanced, nutritious diet that will support your performance and aesthetic goals.
All participants will also get tons of information sent directly to your inbox, including exclusive content being released for this challenge covering subjects from how to shop and save time/money on meals to mindfulness, gut biome health, and nutrient timing.
How will we track success?
Our biggest indicator for success will be, “Did you learn something that will carry over into your new, daily routine?” Remember? This is the real goal.
But of course, it’s good to have some measurable markers of success:
- 3 fitness tests performed at the beginning and end of the challenge
- Muscle mass difference
- Body fat difference
- Time spent on phone difference
- Overall point total for tracking and completing daily tasks
What’s included with the Challenge?
- 1:1 prep week meeting to develop personal goals the week prior
- Team meeting to develop strategy and answer questions during prep week
- 30-minute meeting/personal training session with coach ($60 value)
- In addition to your 30 minute 1:1 session with your coach, you’ll also keep a food log in google sheets to be shared with and reviewed by your coach each week. Your coach will be looking at things like ($80 value):
- Meal timing
- Pre and post workout nutrition
- Are you eating enough
- Are you eating enough vegetables, etc.
- 1:1 continued success meeting to review your challenge experience with a coach and create a plan to maintain your success after the challenge
- Scorecard and detailed recommended food list for accountability
- Before and after body fat/muscle mass and inflammation test on InBody 570 ($80 value)
- Before and after photos and measurements
- CrossFit Sanitas blender bottle ($10 value)
- Tons of articles and recipes for inspiration (priceless)
If you’d like to do the challenge on your own, you can get 2 body fat tests and the scoresheet for just $35