Our Member of the Month for August is German Nunez. He is coming up on 2 years here at CrossFit Santias. For his anniversary on August 5th we will be performing his Member of the Month WOD! German has gradually increased his capacity over 2 years at CrossFit Sanitas by coming in consistently 4-5 days a week. He is a testament to the role that consistency plays in your progress at the gym.
1) How did you get started with CrossFit? What was the primary driving factor?
The seed was planted when I randomly saw Greg Glassman speak at an event I attended. I was fascinated by the philosophy behind CrossFit. But I started a more disciplined commitment in June 2018. This was sparked because I ran the 2018 Bolder Boulder 10K in over one hour. I felt that this was a significant step back in my fitness and wanted to get in better shape. Note: this year my time was 52:18
2) What are your goals for the upcoming 2019 CrossFit year?
My first goal was to run my first marathon. I did that in June. For the second half of the year, I want to be able to improve on my squats. By that, I mean be able to squat with more confidence as I add weight. Extra credit: be able to do one bar muscle-up.
3) What has been your biggest challenge you have had to overcome since starting CrossFit?
Physically, I am not very flexible. So I find it challenging to maintain form on movements such as deadlifts. The days that I see that the WOD has them on the menu, I start stretching and getting warm throughout the day.
But overall, the biggest challenge was establishing discipline in my schedule. That is, planning the fitness week ahead of time and make it fit with work and family/personal commitments.
4) What is your favorite CrossFit Workout/Movement?
High reps bodyweight works-outs (strict pull ups, push-ups, dips) and GHDs
5) What is your least Favorite CrossFit Workout/Movement?
Tie between thrusters and Bulgarian split squats.
6) What advice can you give to those just starting out in CrossFit?
Listen carefully to the coaches. Seek feedback. On every WOD, pick a specific item you want to make an improvement on.
7) Lastly… what is your most memorable moment in Crossfit?
Ill give you two. The first is a father-son story. I took my soon Iggy (12 at the time) to his first CrossFit Teen class and I did the 4:30pm WOD that was running at the same time. I wasn’t sure if he was going to like it. We got in the car after class and he says to me “I never felt this good before”— a parent can’t ask for more than that — that was very memorable. The second was doing Murph with you all on Memorial Day after running the BB10K.
Member of the Month WOD Questions!!
- Whats your birthday? 09/20/1972
- Whats your lucky number? 44
- Do you like endurance-style WODs or strength-style WODs? Im 50/50 on this one, but if I have to pick one it would be strength. I would add that I like the WODs where you have to think a little bit about the strategy and tempo before you start; where you get “punished” for starting too strong/fast/hard.
- AMRAPs or For Time? For Time
Member of the Month WOD
44 GHD Sit-Ups
20 Strict Pull-Ups
9 Thrusters at 60% of Clean and Jerk