Angela Moss used to run her own catering business in Florida. Now she’s a realtor with 8z Real Estate but still loves to cook for her 7 children (yes 7). She and her husband have been Sanitas members since our first week in the Gymboree. She’s always looking to feed her kids nutrient-dense food that tastes great (5 of their 7 kids partake in CrossFit Teens with Coach Nik). Her kale salad at the last paleo potluck was a big hit and she’s shared the recipe with us.
- 2-3 bunches of fresh kale, washed, de-vained and chopped
- 1/2 red cabbage, cut in thinly sliced half moon pieces
- 1 sweet onion, cut in thinly sliced half moon pieces
- 1-2 apples, peeled and sliced in to bite sizes
- 8-10 dried dates, chopped
- 1 T honey
- 1-2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2-3 pieces of fresh bacon, fried in bite sized pieces (optional)
- 1-2 T coconut oil (if not using bacon)
- 1/8-1/4 c orange juice
- Kosher salt to taste
- Crushed pistachios or Cashews (optional if not using bacon)
Saute onions in bacon drippings or coconut oil. Cook for 1-2 minutes then add honey and pepper flakes and cook another 1-2 minutes. Once the onions are turning golden in color, add orange juice and continue cooking until liquid is reduced in half.
In a large bowl, toss red cabbage, kale and dates, add warm dressing to veggies and toss to coat. Add apples after veggies are room temperature and season with salt to your taste.